LAKE WINNIPEG, C.304310, Lake Bulk Freighter. Built in 1943 as a T2-SE-A1 Ocean Tanker by the Swan Island yard of the Kaiser Company Inc., Portland, OR as Hull #41. Launched November 28, 1943 as a) TABLE ROCK, US.244865, for the U.S. Maritime Commission (U.S.M.C. Hull #833) and operated and managed by the Deconhil Shipping Co., San Francisco, CA. 523’6"loa, 503’lbp x 68’x 39’3"; 10,448 GRT, 6301 NRT, 16,600 dwt. Powered by a 7,240 shp G.E. steam turbine driving an electric generator/motor, with an output power of 6,000 shp to a single screw propeller. Turbine, generator and motor built in 1943 by the General Electric Co., Lynn, Mass. Steam was generated by two oil-fired Combustion Engineering Co. water tube boilers with a combined heating surface of 11,354 sq.ft. built in 1943. Rated service speed: 14.5 knots. The TABLE ROCK was part of an emergency tanker building program during World War II in which 481 T2-SE-A1 tankers were completed by four U.S. shipyards which were: Alabama Drydock & Shipbuilding, Mobile, AL (which built 102 ships), Kaiser Company's Swan Island yard which opened May, 1942 (147 ships), Marinship Corp., Sausalito, CA which opened March, 1942 (34 ships), and Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, PA (198 ships). The T2s were built with nine cargo tanks with a capacity of 141,200 bbl., three hydraulic cargo pumps of 2,000 gpm each, a cruising range of 12,600 miles, a mid-ship pilot house and accommodations for a crew of approximately 44. Built at a cost of nearly $3 million which included $850,000 of defense equipment, the construction of these tankers averaged 82 days from keel laying to launching. The T2-SE-A1 nomenclature is defined as a Tanker (T), approximately 450 to 499 feet in length (2) at the waterline, steam powered Turbo-Electric engine (SE), and the first of the series (A1). The TABLE ROCK entered service in December, 1943. The TABLE ROCK was sold foreign to Cie. Nationale De. Nav., Rouen, France in 1948 and renamed b) NIVOSE. In 1961 the NIVOSE was purchased by the newly formed Nipigon Transport Ltd. (Carryore Ltd., mgr., Montreal, Que.) to carry Labrador ore upbound and grain downbound in the Seaway. The company was jointly owned by the Hanna Mining Co., Cleveland, OH and the Cargill Grain Co. Ltd. of Winnipeg, Man. The tanker was taken to Blythswood Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Glasgow, Scotland for the conversion to a bulk carrier. Her hull was cut away forward of her engine room leaving a 145 foot stern section which was joined to a new 585 foot long hull section, the keel of which was laid on July 13, 1961, built by the Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, Scotland. The new hull had six cargo holds with 22 hatches, a hatch crane and a new forward pilothouse. The discarded tanker hull was towed by the tug SEEFALKE to be scrapped at Bilbao, Spain arriving there on May 28, 1961. The new bulker was launched on May 7, 1962 as c) LAKE WINNIPEG which was the last of the T2 tanker conversions for Great Lakes service. New dimensions: 730'loa, 712'lbp x 75'x 42'6"; 18,660 GRT, 13,012 NRT, 23,014 dwt, 1,022,000 bushel capacity. Her sea trials were conducted on August 19th. Her rated service speed was 13.5 knots (15.5 mph). The LAKE WINNIPEG was one of seven T2 tanker conversions for Great Lakes service. The other six which are no longer in service were, by their final names and years of service on the Great Lakes; SHARON (1957-1986), RED WING (1960-1986), HILDA MARJANNE (1961-1983), NORTHERN VENTURE (1961-1983), LEON FALK, JR. (1961-1985), PAUL H. CARNAHAN (1961-1986). Upon her arrival at Quebec City on September 1, 1962, the LAKE WINNIPEG was the first vessel to enter the Nipigon Transport fleet. She loaded her first cargo of 22,584 gross tons of iron ore clearing Sept Îles, Que. on September 18, 1962 bound for Cleveland. On October 2nd she loaded her first grain cargo at the Canadian Lakehead bound for Baie Comeau, Que. Her first winter lay-up was at Prescott, Ont. in 1962-63. A KaMeWa bow thruster was installed at Lauzon, Que. during the Winter of 1963-64. Much of LAKE WINNIPEG's 1980 season was spent in the dry dock at Port Arthur, Ont. as a result of accidents at Duluth, MN and Detour, MI. The LAKE WINNIPEG's last year of operation was 1983 when she hauled only seven grain cargoes. In 1984 she was laid up at Montreal for the entire year. Because of her small capacity and high cost of operation, she was sold via Gibson Ship Brokers to Batista e Iramos Lda., Portugal early in 1985 for scrap. Her Canadian registry was closed on May 1, 1985 as "sold foreign." The next day she cleared Montreal in tow of the tug IRVING CEDAR bound for Sacavém, North of Lisbon, Portugal arriving there on May 19, 1985. LAKE WINNIPEG was the largest Canadian laker and the first Seaway sized ship, as of that date, to be scrapped. Nipigon Transport’s operations came to an end when the rest of the fleet was sold on March 27, 1986 to Algoma Central’s Marine Division at Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.