WILLIAM CLAY FORD (1), US. 266029, Lake Bulk Freighter built in 1953 by Great Lakes
Engineering Works, Ecorse, MI (Hull #300). Launched May 5, 1953 for Ford Motor Co.
Dearborn, MI. 647' LOA X 70' X 36'; 11,590 GRT. Powered by a 7,700 shp Westinghouse
cross-compound steam turbine and two oil-fired water tubes. During the storm on November
10, 1975 under the command of Capt. Don Erickson, the ship left safe anchorage to search
for survivors of the EDMUND FITZGERALD. The CLAY FORD was lengthened 120' at Fraser S.Y.,
Superior, WI. 767' LOA; 14,630,GRT. Made her final trip in December, 1984 and laid up at
the Rouge Slip. Her pilot house was removed and is currently on display at the Dossin
GreatLakes Museum, Detroit. The hull was towed to Port Maitland, Ont. and was scrapped
there in 1987.
-Photo taken St. Mary's River, December, 1980
From the 1996 Calendar featuring photographs by Captain William A. Hoey