JOSEPH H. THOMPSON, (U.S. 245496) Lake Bulk Freighter. Built in 1944 by Sun
Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. Chester, PA as a C4 cargo carrier a)MARINE ROBIN (Hull
#342) for U.S. Maritime Commission. Participated in the Normandy invasion June 6, 1944.
Purchased by Wisconsin-Michigan S.S. Co., Milwaukee in 1950. Sold to Hansand S.S. Co.,
Cleveland in 1950. Converted to a Lake bulk freighter in 1952 by the Maryland Dry Dock
Co., Baltimore, with new bow and mid-body built by Ingalls S.B. Co., Pascagoula, MS. Towed
to AmShip, So. Chicago for final fitout. Entered service in November, 1952 as B) JOSEPH H.
THOMPSON. 714' LOA X 71'6" X 38'6"; 12,217 GRT. Powered by a 9,900 shp G.E.
steam turbine. Sold in 1985 to Upper Lakes Towing Co., Inc., Escanaba, MI. In 1992
conversion completed to a self-unloading barge and shortened 10'. Powered by tug JOSEPH H.
THOMPSON, JR., 146'6" LOA, constructed from the cut-off stern of the JOSEPH H.
THOMPSON and powered by three G.E. diesel engines delivering 7,500 bhp. In service.
-Photo taken in 1957 at Allouez, WI backing from the Great Northern ore docks assisted by
the tug ILLINOIS
From the 1997 Calendar featuring photographs by Wesley R. Harkins