J.F. SCHOELLKOPF, JR., US.203906, Lake Self-Unloading Bulk Freighter. Built as a straight deck Lake Bulk Freighter in 1907 by the American Ship Building Co., Lorain, OH as Hull #349. Launched January 26, 1907 as a) HUGH KENNEDY for the Buffalo Steamship Co. (John Mitchell, mgr.), Cleveland, OH. 557'loa, 532'lbp x 56'x 31'; 7064 GRT, 5500 NRT. Powered by a 1,765 ihp triple expansion steam engine, 23 1/2",38",63" dia. x 42" stroke, and two coal-fired Scotch marine boilers, 15' x 11'6". Engine and boilers built in 1907 by AmShip, Cleveland. The KENNEDY was sold to the American Steamship Co. (Boland & Cornelius, mgr.), Buffalo, NY in 1922 and was renamed b) J.F. SCHOELLKOPF, JR. in 1930. Her conversion to a self-unloader was completed in August of 1933 by the American Ship Building Co. at Lorain; 7263 GRT, 5795 NRT. She was repowered in 1950 with a 3,500 ihp four cylinder Skinner Unaflow steam engine, 28" dia. x 30" stroke, built by Skinner Engine Co., Erie, PA and two Babcock & Wilcox coal-fired water tube boilers, with a total heating surface of 10,186 sq.ft. New registered tonnage: 7301 GRT, 6099 NRT. In April, 1960 a new tank top were fitted and four years later a Bird-Johnson KaMeWa bow thruster was installed at AmShip's Lorain yard. On October 5, 1967 while outbound on the Saginaw River after discharging a load of limestone at Saginaw, MI, the SCHOELLKOPF, JR.'s steering failed which caused her to hit the west side of the I-75 Zilwaukee Bridge. The SCHOELLKOPF, JR. incurred little damage but the south bound lanes of the bridge were out of service for several days until repairs were completed. The J.F. SCHOELLKOPF, JR. was sold in 1973 to the Erie Sand Steamship Co., Erie, PA primarily to carry stone from a quarry at Marblehead, OH. In early 1975 her boilers were converted to oil-burning by the Oldman Boiler Works at Buffalo, NY. She laid up for the last time at Erie PA in December, 1979. The J.F. SCHOELLKOPF, JR. was sold to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne, Ont. in 1980 and then resold to the Italian shipbreakers C.N. Santa Maria for scrap. On May 2, 1980 the SCHOELLKOPF, JR. was towed out of Erie by the McKeil tugs STORMONT and ARGUE MARTIN bound for Ramey's Bend on the Welland Canal arriving there the next day. Then on June 17th she departed there towed by the tugs CATHY McALLISTER and HELEN M. McALLISTER bound for Quebec City, Que. On June 27th the J.F. SCHOELLKOPF, JR. was towed out of Quebec City bound for La Spezia, Italy arriving there July 29, 1980 where dismantling commenced immediately by C.N. Santa Maria.