EDWARD B. GREENE (U.S. 263980) Lake Bulk Freighter. Built in 1952 by American Shipbuilding Co. , Toledo, OH (Hull #189). Launched January 10,1952 for Cleveland-Cliffs S.S. Co., Cleveland, OH. 767' LOA X 70' X 36'; 11,949 GRT. Powered by a 7,700 shp DeLaval steam turbine. Lengthened 120' at Fraser Shipyards, Superior, WI in 1976 and converted to a self-unloader in 1981. Purchased by Rouge Steel Div. of Ford Motor Co., Dearborn, MI in 1985 and renamed b) BENSON FORD (3). Sold to Lakes Shipping Co. (Interlake S.S. Co.) in 1989 and renamed C) Kaye E. Barker. In service.
JOSEPH H. FRANTZ (U.S. 224409) Lake Bulk Freighter. Built in 1925 by Great Lakes Engineering Works , River Rouge, MI (Hull #248). Launched October 18, 1924 for Columbia S.S. Co., Cleveland, OH. 618' LOA X 62' X 32'; 8289 GRT. Powered by a 2,500 ihp triple expansion steam engine. Repowered in 1955 with a 5,323 Skinner Unaflow steam engine. Repowered again in 1965 with a 4,000 bhp General Metals Corp. diesel engine and converted to a self-unloader by Christy Corp. Sturgeon Bay, WI. Transferred to Oglebay Norton Co. in 1944. In service.
-Photo taken at the Great Northern Railway ore docks, Allouez, WI in November, 1959
From the 1997 Calendar featuring photographs by Wesley R. Harkins