EDMUND FITZGERALD steel bulk freighter (U.S. 277437) built in 1958 at River Rouge, Michigan by the Great Lakes Engineering Works (Hull #301)for the Northwestern Mutual Insurance Co., Milwaukee, WI. and chartered by Columbia Transportation Division, Oglebay Norton Co. for 25 years: 711.2' x 75.1' x 33.4'; 13,632 GRT. She was the largest bulk carrier on the Lakes when launched. Bow thruster added in 1969 and converted to oil fuel and fitted with automated boiler controls Winter of 1971-72. Foundered in heavy weather with all 29 hands on November 10,1975 in Lake Superior; 47 North Latitude, 85 7' West Longitude, 17 1/2 miles from Whitefish Point.
She is shown here unloading at Great Lakes Steel on Zug Island - in a photograph which has been documented as the last photograph ever taken of "The Fitz" before her untimely loss on Lake Superior.
-Last known photo taken at Great Lakes Steel, Detroit River October 26, 1975
From the 1993 Calendar featuring photographs by Paul C. LaMarre, Jr.