FRANK E. KIRBY


Click on image for a full screen view

US.120796 Iron-hulled Sidewheel Passenger Excursion Steamer built in 1890 by the Detroit Dry Dock Co., Wyandotte, Michigan as Hull #101. Launched February 14, 1890 as a) FRANK E. KIRBY for the Ashley & Dustin Steamer Line, Detroit, Michigan. 210’ loa x 30’ width x 20’ depth; 532 GRT, 374 NRT. Powered by an 800 ihp Fletcher-design walking beam steam engine and two coal-fired fire box boilers. Built to operate between Detroit and Sandusky, Ohio with stops at Put-In-Bay, Middle Bass Island and Kelleys Island. Renamed b) SILVER SPRAY in 1925 and a year or so later was renamed c)DOVER. By this time she was running from Detroit to other Lake Erie ports. Burned to a constructive total loss on February 2, 1929 while laid up at Wyandotte and was scrapped ten years later. Her engine was removed to Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan but unfortunately was scrapped in the late 1940’s. picture from Fr. Dowling Collection