CITY OF DETROIT III


Click on image for a full screen view

US 209571, steel-hulled passenger side wheeler, built in 1912 for the Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Company by the Detroit Shipbuilding Company, Wyandotte, Michigan. Designed by Frank E. Kirby. Launched on October 7, 1911. 455.8' x 55.5' width x depth 22.5'; 6,061 GRT.
This vessel was the most beautiful of all the ships in the D & C fleet. Her parlors, 21 in all, were exquisitely furnished and the 477 staterooms were fitted out with the latest equipment. For close to 40 years, this ship sailed between Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo. The ship lay idle in 1950 as the company had gone out of business. In 1956, the vessel was sold for scrap. During the winter of 1956 – 57, she was dismantled by the Union Wrecking Company at Detroit. The upper works were stripped and the hull scrapped at Hamilton, Ontario, by the Steel Company of Canada.